Some of your greatest feats in the world are performed inside your very own head. Your brain keeps track of unmeasurable internal data on your body’s health and stability. It governs motor movement like walking or jogging, pushing or lifting. It gives you the ability to think! It is your mind that gives you the capacity to analyze, process and evaluate information as you make decisions constantly throughout every day of your life.
Twenty percent of the blood pumped from your heart goes to your brain, along with at least 20 percent of your energy (even when you’re not doing anything).
Your brain is the most amazing organ in your body. Perhaps more importantly than anything else, it maintains a detailed memory of anything and everything, from the commitments you’ve made and the most recent events in your life, to the facts you learn and need to recall later.
Whether you’re a senior citizen or a freshman in college, there are things you can do to take care of your brain health. Studies have proven that having a healthy lifestyle results in better brain health.
To take care of yourself you should definitely eat healthy and exercise. Your body and mind will thank you for it! But to give your memory a boost at school or work and to prevent aging, supplements can help you improve mental performance and maintain brain health.
Here are 10 supplements to consider taking when you’re looking for better mental performance or if you want to improve and maintain your memory.
- Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) -Your brain uses this omega-3 essential fatty acid to build brain cells and build up your nervous system. Deficiency of this vital component has been linked to many brain problems and psychological disorders. It’s widely accepted as an essential nutrient for brain health, and numerous disorders have shown to improve when you take DHA as a supplement.
- Vitamin D – DHA’s partner in brain health is Vitamin D. It improves your mood and supports your memory and ability to think critically. Also studies show that proper levels of Vitamin D offer protection from chronic diseases like cancer, diabetes and heart disease.
- Vitamin B12 – This is the most common vitamin deficiency in the U.S., and it’s especially common for seniors. Vegetarians and vegas are the most prone to this malnutrition, because it is mostly found in meat, eggs and dairy products. Supplementation is a great idea to prevent deficiency.
- Antioxidants – You’ve probably heard the term “free radicals” before. These are harmful particles in your body that can slowly chip away at the health of your body’s organs. Antioxidants counteract free radicals and keep your brain sharp. Since it can be difficult to get enough of these from a normal diet, taking a supplement is a good idea.
- Alpha GPC- This natural choline nutrient is naturally found in the brain. It’s essential for brain development and brain health, and studies are showing it has the potential to treat Alzheimer’s and boost memory.
- Acetyl-L-Carnitine (ALC) – This amino acid is also a powerful anti-oxidant. Research shows that it can improve mental performance including mood, focus and memory. In addition it is found to prevent aging of the brain.
Your overall health is going to have the greatest impact of any factor on your brain health, but these supplements will help you think more clearly, focus more effectively and maintain the health of your brain. It’s an important thing to take care of – there’s not a moment you don’t need it!
At Doctors Supplement Store, we can manage the sale of safe and healthy dietary supplements for medical practices, so doctors and staff can spend more time helping patients. Contact Doctors Supplement Store today to find out how we can help maximize your practice by removing the daunting task associated with operating an in-house supplement store in your office.